Ustra is Camel while Asana is Posture, Ustrasana (Camel Pose) is like a camel journeying through the Sahara, that needs stamina, endurance, and a commitment to survive but after crossing that Sahara, it accumulatively unlock all the physical, mental and emotional benefits designed for the pose.
Benefits of Ustrasana (Camel Pose):
1. It opens the upper chest, and the front body muscles. This is one part of the body that people hardly intentionally exercise.
2. Stretches and strengthens the shoulders and back region of the body.
3. Loosens up the vertebrae and helps to heal and balance the seven chakras.
4. Stimulates endocrine glands and it releases tension in the ovaries.
5. Strengthens thighs and arms.
6. Tones organs of the abdomen, pelvis, and neck.
7. Stimulates the nervous system, thyroid, and improves digestion.
8. It reduces fat on the thigh, rejuvenate and lower blood pressure.
9. It relief stress and anxiety.
10. It improves creativity and problem solving, mentally.
11. It can also bring deep-rooted emotion to the forefront when properly done.
12. It cures constipation.
13. Expands the abdominal region.
14. Relieves lower back pain.
15. Stretches the ankles, thighs, groin, abdomen, chest, and throat.
16. It improves respiration and flexibility in the spine. You’re as old as your spine. The spine is actually supposed to be exercised both in the forward and backward direction for good balance.
17. Camel Pose is one of the most effective backbend asana that have helped me and many align and enrich the expected natural flexibility of the spine. It’s also said to help maintain the figure eight (8) shape of those who intentionally practice it.
18. It impacts the overall health and general well-being of an individual. Some yoga practitioners said that Ustrasana or camel pose and all related back bends are one of the destroyer of disease.
When should you engage in backbend workout like yoga Ustrasana or camel pose?
- During your yoga sessions, or after hunching over a computer or a desk all day, relieve the accumulated muscles with some quick backbend stretches.
- It’s a good fitness workout that stretch and strengthen the abdominal muscles and internal organs. The benefits of bend exercises are numerous, and stay fit.
How To Effectively Execute Yoga Ustrasana Or Camel Pose
- Note: Make sure you practice this camel pose or Ustrasana in an airy or well ventilated place like the beach, or yoga studio, or your room with enough ventilation.
And to fully maximize the benefits of Camel pose – You’re expected to stay on the asana (pose) for at least 30-seconds to a minute with some deep and calm simultaneously (pranayama exercise) – inhale and exhale without pause.
Yoga asanas with pranayamas (breathe control) has instantaneous health benefits. Here are regular testimonials from everyday yogis and yoginis:
I aligned my shape, I quit smoking, I lost weight, I conquered my fear of flying, I can sleep easily again, it improved my serenity, it saved my relationship, it improved my son’s grade. What’s your own story?